All poetry, photographs and artwork © the individual artists who can be contacted through the links below

Saturday 3 December 2011

Bird Call


As I pulled a leaf from the bay tree, a blackbird,

I imagine the one, who waits by the patio door at dawn,

flew out, calling louder than a car alarm on an empty street.

It’s been that kind of day – only a few hours before

I saw the kingfisher I’d been trying to see for years,

and then two cormorants flew over, a matching pair,

reflecting each other in the mercurial river where

a dipper fluttered and a little grebe dunked below.

I’d have sent you a picture but the light was too good,

each feather, the dazzle, the fright of a waking bird

refuse capture, though they liberate in my memory’s recall.


Hazel Buchan Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment